We welcome volunteers to work communally in our garden. We do not have individual allotments. Please join us on a drop-in basis. Our work days are listed here.
We welcome volunteers 14 yrs+ with or without previous gardening experience. For volunteers younger than 14 yrs, adult supervision will be required..
We provide all tools. New volunteers should review our Garden Map before visiting the garden. If you are new to gardening in general, we also recommend some of these videos to learn more about gardening.
If you have never volunteered in our garden before, we recommend you get on our mailing list by sending an email to [email protected] .
We ask that new volunteers working in the garden to commit to a minimum of three volunteer shifts this season. Volunteers can choose work times on weekdays, evenings and weekends. Some tasks will require physical effort in varying weather conditions and may include:
- Preparing soil by adding amendments such as compost and manure
- Assisting in building simple garden structures such as trellises
- Planting and maintenance of plants
- Removing weeds and watering plants
- Cleaning and putting away garden tools
- Participating in training
- Interacting with the garden’s many visitors
You would be a great fit as a volunteer if…
- You want to volunteer in an outdoor environment where the tasks can differ shift-to-shift
- You are curious about local produce, local flora, food sustainability, soil health (composting) and gardening in general.
- You are interested in networking with other volunteers and neighbours from our local community
- Ideally we are looking for volunteers who can continue volunteering in the summer and early fall, in addition to April-May
- The opportunity to learn about planting, crop rotation, organic gardening, garden maintenance
- Community service hours upon request (please note this when signing up)
- The opportunity to share your knowledge with others
- The opportunity to practise English or learn a new language (e.g. Korean, Mandarin, Farsi) from other volunteers in the garden.